Saturday, November 21, 2015

Cinque Terre

I discovered Italy's Cinque Terre a couple of years through the peripatetic Elia Locardi, a photographer who, along with his wife (who is, oddly, unnamed on his website), have no home and just travel. Seemingly non-stop. The minute I saw his pictures of the coastal villages of Cinque Terre with the multi-colored homes perched on rugged rocks above the sea, I decided that my wife, Gloria, and I would go there as soon as possible. We did. Last month. We got lucky with the weather. It rained a bit but that left stormy, broken clouds the rest of the time. I always insist on bringing a tripod on my travels and, boy, did that work out for these pictures. Many of them were long exposures impossible to do handheld. And a portion of those were a minute or two long, enabled by a 10-stop neutral density filter. Other challenges were the extremes in light which I tamed to a degree with bracketed exposures that I blended in Photoshop. And lastly, another reason for the tripod, I took many panoramas -- six or seven shots stitched together so I wouldn't have to use a wide angle lens and get the distortions that come with it.

Here is my first shot at Cinque Terre. I suspect I'll go back for more.

Gloria and me canoodling on the rocks at Riomaggiore.

Riomaggiore waterfront at sunset.

People watching the sunset, Riomaggiore.

God rays from the Riomaggiore breakwater.

The Riomaggiore breakwater at sunset.

Crashing waves, Riomaggiore.

Riomaggiore at sunset.
Angel, Riomaggiore.

Hanging laundry, Riomaggiore.

Gelateria, Riomaggiore.

Riomaggiore train station.

Icon outside a church, Monterosso.

Fisherman, Monterosso.
Back street, Vernazza.

Gloria exploring Vernazza.

Man with mattress, Vernazza.

Tourists queuing up for the train, Vernazza.

Manarola at sunset.

Manarola at sunset.

Manarola train station, 8:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment