Friday, February 7, 2014

Retirement


After a few hundred rappels in all sorts of conditions from watery to cold to cold water to desert to abrasive rock, I'm retiring my ATS rappel device and just purchased a new one, which I'm breaking in tomorrow. Okay, you don't really break in rappel devices. That implies they'll work better after a few uses. You want them to do their best right from the beginning. In any event, this one has been worn out. The silvery furrow to the left of "ATS" is deep enough (about a third of the way through the metal) that I don't feel safe using it. My friends all use a device called a Pyranha but I've always preferred this gizmo and until someone comes up with something better, I'll continue with it. They do get scratched up, though, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment